This Institute was started in 1972 as a registered Society under the Andhra Pradesh (Telangana Area) Public Societies Act, 1350 Fasli (Act I of 1350F) in the name and style “Food Craft Institute (Hyderabad) Society”, Hyderabad. The government of India, Department of Tourism, New Delhi have upgraded this Institute in 1984 by introducing a 3Year Diploma in Hotel Management and Catering Technology. Consequent on up gradation, the name of the Institute has been changed from “Food Craft Institute” to “Institute of Hotel Management Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition”.
This Institute is functioning under the academic control of National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Noida, an Apex Body set up by the Department of Tourism, Government of India. Prior to the up gradation, only Craft Certificate Courses of Six months / One Year duration were conducted in the trades – Cookery, Bakery and Confectionery, Canning and Food Preservation, Restaurant and Counter Service, Hotel Reception and Book-keeping and House-Keeping including a Postgraduate Diploma Course in Tourism and Travel.
The examination for these courses were then conducted by the State Board of Technical Education and Training, Government of Andhra Pradesh, Hyderabad and Certificates awarded by them. Now the examinations for presently run courses are being conducted on all India basis by the National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Noida and the certificates are awarded by the Council directly. From the Academic Year 2002-03, the 3-Year Diploma in Hotel Management & Catering Technology was converted into 3-Year Bachelor of Science Programme in Hospitality & Hotel Administration (B.Sc. – HHA) and the certificates for the graduating students are being awarded by the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), New Delhi, in 2006-07. To create employable skills among the unemployed youth, ‘Hunar Se Rozgar’ programme under Capacity Building for Service Providers sponsored by Government of India, Ministry of Tourism (HRD), is being conducted at this Institute offering four courses: (a)Food Production – eight weeks ; (b)Food and Beverage Service –six weeks; (c) House-Keeping – six weeks and (d) Bakery – eight weeks . A stipend of Rs.2000/ for eight weeks courses and Rs.1500/- for six weeks courses is being paid on attaining the attendance of 90%. Placement assistance is also provided to the candidates to get employment in various organizations.
This institute is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Tourism Govt. of India.
It relies completely on self-finance for Revenue Expenses. In respect to Capital Expenses, the Govt. of India, Ministry of Tourism & Civil Aviation, does the funding.
Will be updated soon…
Research & Development:
Will be updated soon…
- Institute undertakes consultancy for Industrial Canteens, Railways, Catering, Food Industries etc.
- Develops software for various hotel related applications and student learning activities.
- Undertakes outdoor catering for Government functions and other important functions as well as deputies the students to luxury hotels on request for special arrangements.
- Training of Hotel staff is another important activity.
- Food festivals and Expos relating to Hotel and allied fields are conducted.
- COMPETITIONS: The Students of the institute participate in National level and city level competitions in different spheres of Hotel Management. The Institute also conducts/hosts such competitions from time to time, to encourage creativity among students.